Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Canned e-mails

I attended a local career fair a few days ago. It was a small one with about 10 companies having a booth and I attended 4-5 of the booths. I got this e-mail the following day from a company whose booth I didn't visit at the career fair:

' __
_ [company name deleted to keep confidentiality] would like to thank you for attending the ___ Career Fair hosted by ___ .

We hope you took time to stop and talk with the ___ representatives about a career within their business unit, and about ___ culture and work environment. We look forward to your application for the ___ positions.

If we missed you at the event, you can still view the featured jobs along with all available positions at ___ by visiting our Careers website.

We wish you the very best as you continue your job search and hope to see you at ___ in the near future.'

But I didn't visit your booth and I'm not interested in the positions you advertised. Why are you sending me a canned e-mail? This is further proof that you're treating me like just another number - candidate #23197. As I have stated before, the companies that can target candidates in a more personalized, targeted manner end up strengthening their brand as an employee of choice. Candidates should be treated like customers - essential to boosting the bottom line.



No comments: